American Music Awards night was for Drake, when he broke the legacy of late Michael Jackson winning 13 nominations. Sunday night ran its 44th audition with plenty of performances filling up the show, which was held at Microsoft Theater, Los Angeles. As soon as the event started, hosts Gigi Hadid and Jay Pharaoh wasted no time taking digs at Donald Trump. The audience laughs were like they, were little hesitated to bring smiles on their faces (Please understand the fear of Trump).
Justin Bieber grabs 4 awards
The winner who turned eyes and heads in no time was Justin Bieber. He captured four trophies of the night that also included the best video of the year. Rihanna and Drake took three trophies each including one of their collaborated single ‘work’ that was a big hit. As earlier mentioned, Drake stole the limelight when he was nominated 13 times at American Music Awards 2016. Coming to the performances Bruno Mars set the stage on fire with his latest hit single 24K Magic from his new album by same name.
Bruno steals the show
The 80’s kinda tribute anthem and his smashing collaboration with producer Mark Ronson Uptown Funk was the last hit of year 2015 which made everyone dace to his tunes. 24K Magic is one of the singles of 2016 which has created a path for Bruno Mars journey. The infectious energy which he drained into his performance, was enough to raise the standards of American Music Awards 2016.
Tribute to late Prince
The night of American Music Awards 2016 just got its melody on everyone when few moments later, Prince’s sister Tyka Nelson walked to stage and gave a fiery, emotional speech after accepting the award for track ‘Purple Rain’ which boosted the financial sales chart after the pop genius (Prince) passed away in April. The sounds of stars didn’t end as Fifth Harmony got the hall powered with her single, ‘That’s my girl’.
Crowd taps to the beat of Stars
Shawn Mendes took people to a ride of heaven with his songs, ‘treat you better’ and ‘Mercy’. Lady Gaga and The Chainsmokers & Halsey did some respectable performances at AMA 2016. Duo, The Chainsmokers and EDM (Electronic Dance Music) who were chosen as favorite artist, performed their single ‘closer’ which was at number one in Billboard Hot 100’s.
The audience danced to the tunes of Maroon 5, ‘Don’t Wanna Know’ which was performed by Adam Levine and Kendrick Lamar. Even the hotshot DJ Khaled’s ‘Do you Mind’ took people into foot tapping, when they saw the star studded performances from August Alsina, Rick Ross and etcetera. Ariana Grande who was adjudged as the star of the year came on to break the stage with her superhot single ‘Side to Side’ along with super sexy Nicki Minaj. On the other hand Canadian star The Weeknd lured the crowd with his paranoid track Starboy which his currently running at 2nd place in Billboard Hot 100 list.
Selena: The favorite Lady
Selena Gomez, who is the next emerging queen of pop/rock, accepted the favorite female artist with an emotional teary speech about her return from the success-borne brink. Gomez suffered from depression because of her breakup with Justin Bieber.
Here is the full list of winners from the American Music Awards 2016:
- Artist of the Year – Ariana Grande
- New Artist of the Year (Un-Leashed By T-Mobile) – ZAYN
- Collaboration Of The Year – Fifth Harmony – “Work from Home (ft. Ty Dolla $ign)”
- Tour of the Year – Beyoncé
- Video of the Year – Justin Bieber – “Sorry”
- Favorite Male Artist – Pop/Rock – Justin Bieber
- Favorite Female Artist – Pop/Rock – Selena Gomez
- Favorite Duo or Group – Pop/Rock – Twenty One Pilots
- Favorite Album – Pop/Rock – Justin Bieber – Purpose
- Favorite Song – Pop/Rock – Justin Bieber – “Love Yourself”
- Favorite Male Artist – Country – Blake Shelton
- Favorite Female Artist – Country – Carrie Underwood
- Favorite Duo or Group – Country – Florida Georgia Line
- Favorite Album – Country – Carrie Underwood – Storyteller
- Favorite Song – Country – Tim McGraw – “Humble and Kind”
- Favorite Artist – Rap/Hip-Hop – Drake
- Favorite Album – Rap/Hip-Hop – Fetty Wap – Fetty Wap
- Favorite Song – Rap/Hip-Hop – Drake – “Hotline Bling”
- Favorite Male Artist – Soul/R&B – Chris Brown
- Favorite Female Artist – Soul/R&B – Rihanna
- Favorite Album – Soul/R&B – Rihanna – Anti
- Favorite Song – Soul/R&B – Rihanna – “Work (ft. Drake)”
- Favorite Artist – Alternative Rock – Twenty One Pilots
- Favorite Artist – Adult Contemporary – Adele
- Favorite Artist – Latin – Enrique Iglesias
- Favorite Artist – Contemporary Inspirational –
- Favorite Artist – Electronic Dance Music – The Chainsmokers
- Top Soundtrack – Purple Rain