Indira Gandhi Birthday: Indira Gandhi was one of the most revered leaders of the nation, who is remembered even today. She was famously called the Iron Lady of India. Born on 19 November 1917 to the Nehru family, Indira Priyadarshini Nehru grew up to be the most powerful leader of the country.
Indira spent her life surrounded with all sorts of comforts and whatever she demanded was brought at her disposal without delay. She was assassinated by her own bodyguards on 31 October 1984.
Indira Gandhi Birthday – Unknown Facts about the Iron Lady of India
On the occasion of Indira Gandhi’s 99th birth anniversary, here are some of the unknown and shocking facts about her.
- Indira as a child possessed many expensive toys which were specially imported for her. Later when she learned that the domestic products should be preferred over the imported products, she gave up all her imported dolls and toys.
- The great leader Mahatma Gandhi had a great influence on Indira. She often visited him, Mahatma Gandhi’s teachings had a great influence on her as well.
- Indira fell in love with Feroze Gandhi, whom she married on 26 March 1942. Their marriage was not supported by many since Feroze was a Parsi.
- Indira Gandhi and Feroze Gandhi parted soon after their marriage owing to Indira’s greater love for politics and Feroze being involved in extra-marital affairs.
- On January 24, 1966, Indira became the first female Prime Minister of the country.
- Indira Gandhi and her daughter-in-law Maneka Gandhi have always been at loggerheads since as per Indira, Maneka was a misfit in the Gandhi family. Later Maneka Gandhi was made to leave the Gandhi house to which she had said, “I have not done anything to merit being thrown out. I don’t understand why I am being attacked and held personally responsible. I am more loyal to my mother-in-law than even to my mother.”
- Indira Gandhi was assassinated in 1984 by her bodyguards Satwant Singh and Beant Singh who were among the most trusted people by Indira Gandhi.