May is filled with many events and festivals that can’t be ignored. One of them is World Athletics Day. The IAAF hosts a number of competitions and tournaments on this day to encourage people to participate in sports and exercise. This Day is celebrated to increase public awareness of athletics. Every year it is celebrated on 7th May.
Let’s read more about the day below!
History About World Athletics Day
The International Amateur Athletic Federation was established at the same time as World Athletics Day. A day set aside each year to celebrate sports and athletics was proclaimed by the organization. The following information will provide you all the background about Athletics Day history:
The IAAF was founded in Stockholm, Sweden, on July 17, 1912. The group’s mission was to promote sports participation as a top priority.
- The day was first celebrated in 1996 by the International Amateur Athletic Federation (IAAF).
- Through World Athletics Day, the Federation has been extremely active in promoting sports awareness.
- By holding a number of local and international tournaments on Athletics Day, they have reached out to the broader population.
Significance of World Athletics Day
The goal of World Athletics Day is to raise awareness of the numerous advantages of participating in sports. People who practice sports or other games are athletes. They are renowned for their power, stamina, and speed. In sporting competitions, athletes test their endurance. The purpose of Athletics Day is to recognize all of the world’s greatest athletes.
Every year in May, World Athletics Day takes place to promote the idea that sports and physical activity belong in everyone’s life. The date is chosen by the IAAF (International Amateur Athletic Federation), thus it is flexible. This World Athletics Day is notable for the following reasons.
- The occasion of World Athletics Day may encourage people to begin treating sports seriously.
- This day also promotes awareness of the physical and mental health advantages of sports.
- The accomplishments of athletes throughout the years are also celebrated on World Athletics Day.
World Athletics Day Celebration
On this Day, a number of sports competitions are held, including running, walking, cricket, track and field, race walking, etc. For larger events like the Commonwealth Games, Asian Games, and Olympic Games, the performers in the inter-school competitions held at the local and national levels are raised even further. People should take advantage of Athletics Day to explore and develop their interest for athletics.
- In India, the Day is observed with enthusiasm.
- The Athletics Federation of India (AFI) is the primary organization and management body for athletics in India.
- The organization is connected with the Indian Olympic Association and the International Association of Athletics Federations.
- On this Day, it hosts several national and international sporting events and promotes sports in India.
Here are some of the common ways in which the day is celebrated:
Athletics events: One of the primary methods in which World Athletics Day is observed is through athletics events. These competitions can take place in schools, clubs, or other sporting organisations and can involve events like running races, jumping, and throwing.
Awareness initiatives: As part of the World Athletics Day events, awareness initiatives are also organised. Social media ads, posters, and other marketing materials aimed at promoting athletics and its benefits to young people may be included in these initiatives.
Resulting in, World Athletics Day events aim to promote athletics as an inclusive, accessible, and useful sport for young people. The events give young people the opportunity to participate in athletics and build a lifelong passion of the sport.
Also read other articles from NorthBridgeTimes.com