Madan Mohan Malaviya Birthday: Today is a very special day as it is the birthday of Madan Mohan Malaviya, an amazing personality who worked very hard in the Indian independence movement. He was born on 25 December 1861. He became the president of Indian National Congress twice. People used to address him as Pandit Madan Mohan Malaviya and Mahamana.
Some Interesting Facts about Madan Mohan Malaviya to Amaze you
- Pandit Madan Mohan Malaviya is highly remembered as the founder of Banaras Hindu University (BHU) at Varanasi in 1916, being the largest residential university in Asia offering various courses in agriculture, arts, engineering, medical, law, performing arts, sciences and technology to over 35,000 students. From 1919–1938, he served as the Vice Chancellor of BHU.
- He also founded Ganga Mahasabha at Haridwar in 1905.
- After Mahamana left Congress, he became a member of the Hindu Mahasabha and was also its President in Gaya in 1922 and in Kashi in 1923.
- He is also the founder of Scouting in India and English-newspaper, The Leader that was published from Allahabad in 1909.
- Mahamana also served as the Chairman of Hindustan Times from 1924 to 1946 and as a result of his efforts, its Hindi edition, Hindustan Dainik was also launched in 1936.
- On 24 December 2014, he has been awarded with India’s highest civilian award, Bharat Ratna.
- Madan Mohan Malaviya is said to make the India’s national motto, ‘Satyameva Jayate’ (Truth alone triumphs) popular.
- He practised law at Allahabad High Court and saved 153 accused from getting death penalty in the Chauri Chaura riots in Gorakhpur in UP in 1922.
- Though, he was a Hindu nationalist, but he always worked for for Hindu-Muslim unity.