Odisha Landmine Blast: At least seven police personnel were killed and six others critically injured in a landmine blast on Wednesday evening, suspected to have been set-off by Maoists in Odisha’s Koraput close to the Andhra Pradesh.
“A total of seven persons have so far died in the landmine blast incident,” DIG south-western range, S Syani, said.
Odisha Landmine Blast: CM Patnaik expresses his condolences to deceased families
According to reports, police have recovered four bodies from the spot of the blast and three other died at the hospital later. Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik expressed his condolences to deceased families and termed blast as a cowardly act.
The blast occurred near Mungarbhumi on Sunki ghat, hardly a km from the Andhra Pradesh border in the Moist-affected Koraput district, the officer said. Syani said, among 13 personnel most of them police drivers were on their war to Cuttack in a truck for training when the landmine blast occurred.
Maoists have given boycott call in Malkangiri
People who were injured critically were taken to the hospital in Koraput and Visakhapatanam. The shocking incident comes just about two weeks before the three-tier panchayat polls in the state. Maoists have given boycott call in Malkangiri district and other extremist-affected districts.
The blast was triggered by red rebels operating in the Andhra- Odisha border areas police said. “Our men are facing problems in the rescue operation due to darkness,” ASP (Koraput) V R Rao said.