Disadvantages of drinking more water: We all are aware of the fact that water sustains life, the human body is approximately 60 percent water. This itself is telling of the fact that how important water is for the maintenance of a balanced and good health.
Since it is such an important part of our health, it is also important to regularise its intake in a balanced amount. There has always been quite a hubbub around the matter of how many glasses of water are just optimum and necessary to flush out the toxins from the body. There is an adequate amount of water quantity that the body requires in a day, and one should not drink more than that amount.
More water intake is deemed to be harmless for health, however, it is not so. The damage excess water does to our body is unthinkable and thus it should be kept in check.
Disadvantages of drinking more water – Here, are some of the common misconceptions about drinking more water
- It is often said that more the water intake, more beneficial it would be for our health. However, that is not the truth. Only that many glasses of water must be had which the body requires.
- Excess water serves as of no use to the body. It can result in a deficiency of sodium and potassium in the body that ultimately leads to Hypothermia.
- Furthermore, excess water intake may lead to swelling of brain cells, may lead to a cardiac arrest for it overburdens the heart and causes severe damage to the kidney.
- Drinking excess water than required damages the liver as the increased iron in the body may damage the liver.
- Drinking more water does not reduce your weight. It just reduces the appetite which might cause you to lose weight indirectly. Reducing one’s appetite by drinking more water is also not advisable since it may devoid the body of the essential nutrients that it gets from food.
- Many believe that drinking Hot water is good for the health. However, it is not. The fact is drinking too hot water or hot water intake during the day leads to an imbalance in the essential nutrients in the body, erodes the essential nutrients and causes changes in sleep patterns.
When and How much water should one drink?
- As we have already busted the myth about drinking excess water and its purported benefits, it is clear that one should not go on drinking water during the day.
- One should not empty a glass full of water in one go. The ideal way to drink water is sipping it at frequent intervals throughout the day which keeps the water quantity in the body regularised and helps digest the food well.
- One may drink a little more water during the day if the body is more exposed to the sun or under certain health conditions.
- Do not drink water while having meals, it slows down the digestion of food. It is ideal to drink water half an hour before having a meal.
- In case, one drinks other beverages during the day or one’s meal has plenty of water in it, the individual should decrease water intake accordingly.
- The thirst mechanism is perfectly regulated in the body and thus, one doesn’t have to consciously regulate one’s water intake.
- One should drink approximately 2 litres of water per day.
Drinking adequate amount of water during the day helps in fighting premature ageing, boosts energy levels, improves concentration, fights infections, removes toxins from the body and works wonders for the skin.