DDLJ Facts: DDLJ, the Indian Romantic movie turns 21 today as it was released on 20 October 1995 and since then no other movie has been able to defeat it. The movie stars Shah Rukh Khan, Kajol, Anupam Kher, Amrish Puri and Farida Jalal.
When the movie was released, it became the highest grossing movie in India making $1.06 billion and $160 million overseas.
9 Unknown DDLJ Facts – the Blockbuster Hit
“DDLJ – Come Fall in Love” turns 21
- The movie is the most successful hits of all times and holds the record for bagging 10 Filmfare awards for a single movie at a time. Well, that comes as no surprise, since the movie was one of its kind.
- When Shahrukh Khan read the script first, he did not want to do the movie as he was not looking for a romantic role. Just imagine who could have replaced SRK in the epic movie, can think of nobody right?
- After finishing the shoot, when SRK and Yash Chopra watched the movie, He told Mr Chopra that it was his “Deewar”, the one movie that will make him big.
- The scene where SRK and Amrish Puri are feeding the pigeons was an impromptu and was not at all planned. Well, good that somebody thought of it.
- Anupam Kher wanted to play Amrish Puri’s role since he thought that the role he had been given was trivial in front of Simran’s father’s, but Aditya Chopra clearly rejected his request.
- The skirt that Kajol wore in “Mere Khwabon Mein Jo Aaye” was cut on the set since they thought it was too long, but when it was cut, it turned out to be too short but Kajol wore it anyway.
- It was after SRK suggested that action and bloodshed were added in the film which according to him was what made the movie big and more spectacular.
- Kajol and Aditya Chopra thought of DDLJ as one of the most cliche and predictable love story, however, it was after its release and the reviews it received that they were convinced that the movie was actually a masterpiece.
And even today the movie is screened in many of the movie theatres in India.